Saturday, January 15, 2011

Collar and sleeves on my 60's Dress

I woke up this morning to a bunch of snow on the ground - I didn't even know it was supposed to snow!  After I shoveled, I decided I didn't really want to go anywhere today until 6:00, when we're going to a friend's house to watch the Packers game. 

Perfect time to work on a dress, right?  I did all the finishing touches on the bodice and started on the skirt.  First off, I nixed my planned teal lining.  It was feeling kind of bulky already and I didn't want to add another layer, and I always wear a slip anyway.  I'm glad I did the underlining, as it definitely made the silk fabric more sturdy, and it is so warm!  It was making my legs hot when I hemmed the sleeves.

First I did the neckline facing.  I folded the raw edges over and ironed them, and then sewed it into place:

Photobucket

Clipped my curves:

Photobucket

And then understitched the seam to the facing:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I turned the facing in and pressed:

Photobucket

And hand-stitched into place:

Photobucket

Lastly, I did the sleeves. I trimmed them with blue lace seam tape, folded the edges up, and hand-stitched the hem.

Photobucket


I sewed only through the underlining, so you can't see stitches at all on the outside of the sleeve.

Photobucket

Hopefully I'll finish the skirt later this afternoon or tomorrow so I can wear it to work Monday.  Go Packers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers