Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Dress, a Secret Dress, and the Chain-Print Dress (Again)

Hi Everyone!  Sorry for the long hiatus, but I've been in Chicago since Thursday celebrating the new year and hanging out with a group of friends.  My days were spent eating, drinking, and talking, not worrying about whether or not my latest sewing project was going to turn out.  It was really nice, actually. 

Of course, I finally got to wear the dress I made for New Year's Eve! My husband and I and three other couples went downtown for dinner at Sushi SambaRio, and then rang in the New Year at the Old Town Ale House.

Photobucket


Photobucket

I loved the coordination among us ladies (and guys!). We were all in sparkly black, gray, or champagne.

Photobucket

We went out on Thursday night, too, and I got the opportunity to wear a secret dress I didn't blog about.  It's secret because I originally bought the fabric for my friend Ellie, but then I loved it so much I bought more and made a dress for myself out of it.  I had to wait until I gave it to her before I could take it public.  It's not actually vintage, although it looks like it is.  It's from Jo-Ann's!  It's 100% rayon, but it feels like knit silk and has the dreamiest drape.  It was so easy to work with it almost sewed itself.

I used the same pattern as my 40's dress.  Sadly, I did not get a picture of it on.  I am terrible at capturing things on film.  I'm too busy talking, probably. 

Photobucket

I also finished the chain-print dress!  After giving up on it twice, I decided that I had done way too much work to let it end up in the project graveyard.  It was almost done - I needed to attach the skirt, and do the zipper and the hem.  The skirt turned out beautifully.  I really do love a full, gathered skirt.  I did the zipper by hand, and I basically had to make the smallest zipper placket possible to make it fit me.  It's a tight squeeze, but it closes!  I hemmed both the dress and the lining by hand, which I am getting really good at.  Each one took about 25 minutes.

I hated the original dress I made out of this fabric, but I am so in love with part deux.  I'm actually excited to go to work tomorrow and wear it.  I'm so glad I finished it, I definitely think it's going to be a staple in my wardrobe.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

I hope everyone is having a great start to the New Year!  I don't currently have any projects in the works, but I have some ivory crepe and aqua blue silk on it's way from Fabric.com.  I'm going to make another one of my 1940's patterns, and a 60's party dress.  Good luck with all your projects!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job, Amy! I can't wait to make something with the gorgeous fabric, too!

    ReplyDelete

Followers