Monday, February 28, 2011

Me-Made March Inventory

Wow, how is tomorrow already March 1st?   This winter has gone so quickly!  I thought I could start off Me-Made March by taking inventory of every homemade garment I have, and seeing where there are gaps I need to fill.  Obviously one of those gaps in going to be tops!  I have only made one shirt so far, so it looks like I'm going to be skipping a few Casual Fridays this month.  I've always disliked Casual Friday, anyway.  I think jeans are kind of uncomfortable, and so I usually end up wearing leggings and a knit dress.  I've proposed Cocktail Dress Friday a few times, but no one seemed to be on board.

Here's what I'm working with.  I've got 15 dresses I would be okay wearing either for work or play.  Then I have one skirt I made ages ago, my new Sencha blouse, and another blouse I made a while ago out of two vintage silk scarves.  I am fine with having to repeat things. It's still cold here and I can change my look with different tights and cardigans.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket


I also have another Sencha blouse cut out.  If I make different versions in different fabrics, it won't look like I'm wearing the same blouse all the time.  Especially since it's cold and I have to wear a cardigan anyway.

Photobucket

The fabric is from a Ralph Lauren bedsheet.  It was part of my set from freshman year in college, but now I no longer have a need for an extra long twin sheet set.  Could I be obnoxious and call it a "reclaimed" bedsheet?  Hahaha.  That is another one of my huge Etsy pet peeves - sellers who list pieces of old sheets and call it reclaimed fabric.  It's not like you stripped 100 year old leather off a train car and used it to upholster a chair.  You went to Goodwill and bought a slept on (and probably sexed on) sheet and now you are selling pieces of it as vintage fabric.   How is that "reclaimed"? 

I have to cheat on Me-Made March a little bit while I'm in Mexico from the 10th - 17th.  Since my Vogue sundress was a disaster, that leaves me with only five homemade summer dresses.  I have my 60's bikini, but I'm scared about it's swimability, so I am also bringing two store bought bikinis.  I have no homemade caftans or coverups, so right now I have three store bought ones packed. 

Photobucket

I bought this pattern from Connie the Pattern Peddler (who is quickly becoming my Etsy go-to seller for all my vintage fabric and pattern needs) and if I have time before next Thursday, I'd really like to make it to bring along.  I even have a very 1960's print bedsheet I could make it out of.  And no, it is not reclaimed - I bought it from the Salvation Army.

Photobucket

I'm really looking forward to participating in Me-Made March!  I'm going to try my best to do daily updates.  I can't wait to see what everyone else is wearing!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you've got a great me-made wardrobe! I look forward to seeing it this month! Love the new pattern--what a great design!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the bedsheets! It bothers me so much. And all your Me-Made-March dresses look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow so jealous of your amazing hand made wardrobe! Have fun in Mexico, Sam xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to look for this pattern myself but can's make out the number. Do you mind sharing with a blog follower from Australia?

    ReplyDelete

Followers