Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Zooey Jacket

Hi Everyone!

Last week, I decided to give it a try and make my version of the jacket I loved so much on Zooey Deschanel.  I dug out some doilies from the wedding box in the basement, and the three yards of navy rayon crepe I was mistakenly sent when I ordered black.  I knew that would come in handy some day.  I don't have many jacket patterns, but this one minus the collar seemed good.

Photobucket

Since my fabric didn't have a wrong side, I marked it with chalk. I've made too many mistakes in the past because of this, and I didn't want to have to rip out stupid mistakes.

Photobucket

Putting the bodice of the jacket together was pretty quick. I eliminated the darts at the waist because I wanted it to be boxy, so all I had to do were the ones at the bust and shoulders. I used some stiff interfacing on the bodice front.

Photobucket

Next up was winging the doily lace collar. I cut out the center and laid it on my jacket. Having a dress form really came in handy for this project.

Photobucket

I pinned the doily in place and trimmed off the excess.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

I basted it in place, sewed on my facing, and turned the doily collar to the outside.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I even made doily covered buttons! I painted the silver buttons with tan nail polish first.

Photobucket

And, here's an unflattering photo of me wearing it (seriously, I need to get better at this "posing for photos" thing) with my Jason Wu for Target dress. First in line, baby! I saw a picture of Michelle Obama wearing the same dress today and I got ridiculously giddy.

Photobucket


It's not my best effort. I wish the sleeves were more fitted, and it was less cropped, but it's pretty good for winging it. I have more crepe and more doilies if I should choose to remake it with a different pattern.

4 comments:

  1. Its lovely! Zooey is my style love at the moment and I'd been hoarding some navy crepe and some doilies to do this too! I like your shorter version better its much more wearable! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This jacket is very nice, you did good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a bit skeptical when I saw the doilies, but this is a GREAT little jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great jacket. Wouldn't it be great to wake up to Zooeys wardrobe? I just watched her on tv and she was wearing a great vintage dress that I want to copy. Did I read somewhere that she uses lots of her own clothing in her new series?

    ReplyDelete

Followers